As we gradually get closer to the end of winter, it’s time to start rethinking your wardrobe choices. And while men’s chinos can be worn throughout the year, they are perhaps most popular for the warm-weather season (and for good reason).
An excellent alternative to jeans or wool trousers, chinos are perfect for spring and beyond. Not only lightweight, they’re also super soft and comfortable—making them a pleasure to wear for long periods and mild days.
Available in a range of colours and multiple fits, chino trousers are suitable for men of all sartorial preferences. You can dress them up or down, and they can be worn for a wide variety of occasions. You can wear them to work, at the weekend, or even for activities such as hiking or cycling.
No matter what your style is, there is a pair of chinos that will fit your needs. If you’re looking for a new wardrobe staple for the spring and summer, look no further. They are a timeless staple and will be sure to keep you looking stylish and feeling comfortable whatever you’re up to.
To help you understand more about the smart-casual trouser, and give you an idea on how and when to wear them, this guide will take you through everything you need to know.
How to Wear Chinos
There are various ways you can wear chinos, but we’re going to look at how to wear them casually or smart. For the former, you could opt for a classic fit pair with a flat front. You may wish to roll them up a few times, particularly during the summer. Don’t forget to remove your socks, and choose casual footwear such as trainers.
If you want to wear your chino trousers more formally, pick out a slim-fitting pair with a pleat front. Find your favourite shirt, and tuck it in. Finish the outfit with a leather belt and choose smart-casual footwear such as chukka boots or suede loafers.
How to Roll Chinos
Rolling your chinos doesn’t only offer a bit of warm-weather relief, but it also helps add a touch of individual style to your outfit and show off your chosen footwear. To successfully roll your chinos, there are a few things to remember:
- Avoid wear socks. Or invest in an invisible pair.
- Make sure you roll, not fold.
- Don’t roll too high, or low. Two or three rolls is ideal.
- For wider hems, you can pinch and roll for a neater look
When to Wear Chinos
Chinos are the perfect trouser choice for almost any occasion. Whether you’re heading for a casual day at the office, or a weekend out with friends, they’re an excellent way to keep comfortable while creating a timeless look that’ll never fall out of favour.
We’re going to start this guide by taking a look at how and when you can wear men’s chinos for a number of different scenarios.
Wearing Chinos to the Office
Chinos are great for the office, especially if you’re looking for something more professional than jeans. Pair them with a semi-formal shirt, leather shoes, and a fine knit jumper for a smart look that still shows some character. If you want to it down slightly, try a polo shirt and loafers.
Wearing Chinos at the Weekend
Whether you’re heading for lunch with friends or exploring the city, when dressing for the weekend you’re probably going to want your outfit to be a little more relaxed. Chinos offer a great way to do this. Try wearing them with a crew neck tee, casual shirt and trainers for a casual yet fashionable ensemble.
Wearing Chinos on a Date
If you’re looking to impress on a first date, or want to look your best for your other half, chinos are a fine choice. Try teaming a slim-fitting pair with a patterned shirt and smart shoes. This timeless look will show you have made an effort without feeling like you’re trying too hard.
Wearing Chinos on a Night Out
For a night out with friends or your partner, you can’t go wrong with a classic pair of men’s chinos. Try pairing them with a casual and shirt and smart footwear, or dress them down with a T-shirt and trainers. Either way, you’ll look great.
No matter where you’re going, chinos are a fail-safe option that will perfectly complement many of the items you already own in your wardrobe. They’re versatile, stylish, and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
What to Wear With Chinos
Chinos are a wardrobe staple for men of all occupations, regardless of their style preferences. Not only are they comfortable and stylish, but they’re also versatile enough to be dressed up or down for a variety of occasions.
Whether you’re spending the day at the office, out for drinks, or just running errands, chinos are an excellent choice. But what should you wear them with?
For a classic and professional look, pair your chinos with a casual shirt—popping on a sports jacket if you want to dial up the formality. This is a great option for the office, or for any semi-formal events such as wedding receptions or after-work drinks.
For a more casual outfit, wear your men’s chinos with a button-down shirt with a crew neck T-shirt underneath. You could even add a zip-up hoodie or jumper if the temperature drops. Alternatively, during the summer months, you can wear some chino trousers with a short-sleeved shirt or classic crew neck tee.
For a weekend look, pair your chinos with a casual shirt or a jumper. A chambray shirt is a great option for a relaxed yet stylish look, and it also looks particularly great with a pair of men’s chinos.
When it comes to footwear, chinos pair well with both trainers and smart shoes. They also look equally as stylish with loafers or boat shoes. Which style of footwear you choose will depend on the occasion you’re dressing for. For formal events, opt for shoes, otherwise you can keep it casual .
No matter what the occasion is, chino trousers are an easy and stylish way to look your best. With the right outfit combinations, you can easily transition from day to night.
Men’s Chinos Outfit Ideas
- Navy chinos with a white Oxford shirt. A timeless classic, this look is perfect for any occasion. Pair your chinos with brown leather loafers for a smart-casual look.
- Grey chinos with a printed shirt. For a more relaxed outfit (that still feels smart), pair some slim-fitting grey chinos with a printed shirt. This can work particularly well for garden parties and summer holidays. A pair of white trainers will finish your ensemble perfectly.
- Stone chinos with a grey jumper. A fine look for the office or a night out, this combination is sure to make a great impression. Add a white formal or casual shirt and suede footwear to complete the outfit.
- Brown chinos with a check shirt. To achieve the country gentleman look, you can opt for some brown chinos with a check shirt. Complete the look with a quilted jacket and chukka boots—adding a scarf and wool jumper if it’s chilly.
- Black chinos with a striped T-shirt. Whether you’re heading on a city break or catching up with friends, this like is a fail-safe option that is smart without being too dressy. To finish off the outfit, add a pair of leather trainers.
How to Store Chinos
Storing men's chinos properly is essential for keeping them looking their best. It’ll also prolong their lifespan and save you having to regularly buy new pairs. Here are some simple tips for storing your chinos in order to keep them looking new.
- Clean before storing. Before putting your chinos way, you should always make sure they are clean. This will prevent dirt and stains from setting in and will help maintain the quality of the fabric.
- Hang them. If you need to save space, it’s perfectly acceptable to fold your chinos. However, if you want to avoid creases, it’s best to hang your chino trousers on a hanger. This will also help preserve the shape of the fabric.
- Avoid heat and light. When possible, keep your chinos in a cool, dry place. They should ideally be away from direct sunlight. Sunlight can cause the fabric to fade and heat can sometimes cause damage to the fabric.
- Avoid moisture. To prevent mildew and mould, make sure to store your chinos in a place that is free from moisture.
- Use cedar hangers. It can be a good idea to invest in some cedar hangers. These are great for storing chinos as the cedar acts as a natural insect repellent, preventing moths and other pests from damaging the fabric.
- Use fabric protecter. Although this isn’t too important, it can be an easy way to keep your chinos looking their best for longer. A protector spray can help protect the fabric from dirt and stains.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure your chinos are always looking their best. Thankfully, the cotton material used to make chinos is pretty durable. So along as you look after your trousers, they should last you a pretty long time.
How to Look After Chinos
Chinos are a great choice for any man wanting to look stylish, yet remain as comfortable as possible. Whether you’re wearing chinos to work or on a casual night out, they are a versatile and timeless piece of clothing that every man should have in his wardrobe. However, as with all clothes, they need to be looked after properly to ensure they last.
Here’s how to look after your chinos and keep them looking great for longer:
- Wash them carefully. Chinos are made from a cotton fabric, so they’re pretty easy to clean. As long as you follow the care instructions on the label, you shouldn’t come across any problems. If in doubt, wash them on a delicate cycle in cold water.
- Hang them to dry. If the care labels say you can, it is fine to put your chinos into the tumble dryer. However, on a warm day, it is always better to dry them naturally by hanging them on a washing line or clothes airer.
- Use a steam iron. If your chinos need to be ironed, use a steam iron on a low setting. This will help to smooth out any wrinkles without damaging the fabric.
- Remove any stains. If your chinos get stained, use a stain remover or a pre-treater specifically designed for cotton clothing. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure the product doesn’t damage the fabric.
- Store them properly. When you’re not wearing your chinos, store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. This will help to keep them looking fresh and new.
By following these tips, you can keep your chinos looking great. With a bit of love and care, your chinos will be your go-to for many years to come.
Men’s Chinos FAQs
Q: What are chinos?
A: Chinos are a type of smart-casual trousers made from cotton, often with a hint of stretch for comfort. They typically come in slim and classic fit shapes with a slightly tapered leg. They are a timeless choice that have been popular for many years.
Q: What is the difference between chinos and khakis?
A: Chinos and khakis are both made from a light cotton fabric, but they are slightly different in terms of their construction. Chinos are usually cut slim with a smooth, tapered leg, while khakis are typically cut looser and baggier, with a wider leg opening.
Q: How should I care for my chinos?
A: The best way to care for your chinos is to follow the instructions on the care label inside the garment. Generally, you should machine wash in cold water and hang to dry. Avoid using harsh detergents as these can damage the fabric.